You eat clean, drink a lot of water and never go to bed without washing your face, yet you’re still suffering from adult acne not unlike the type that used to haunt you back in 7th grade — so what gives?
The answer might be hiding in an unassuming little brush that can have a big impact on the appearance of your skin.
If you’re not cleaning your makeup brushes religiously, then you’re hiding a dirty little secret, literally. Regular washing of your brushes can prevent contamination, which in turn thwarts bacteria from spreading to your skin, thus putting an end to those annoying breakouts that totally annihilate your self confidence and make you want to lock yourself inside your house.
But don’t set out on a mad hunt for the perfect store-bought cleaner just yet. Luckily there’s an easy, all-natural remedy you can do yourself by using simple, basic ingredients you probably have on hand already.
What You’ll Need
½ cup witch hazel
2 tsp castile soap
1 tsp nourishing oil (olive, almond or jojoba oil)
1 cup distilled water
1. In a jar with a tight lid, combine all ingredients; shake the bottle thoroughly.
2. Before using each time, shake the bottle vigorously before opening the lid.
3. Next, pour some cleaner into a small dish and place only the tip of your brushes into the solution for about five minutes.
4. Remove the brushes from the solution and rinse with warm water.
5. Allow brushes to lay flat to dry in a cool, dry place.