A Massachusetts mom said her 11-year-old daughter suffered severe burns after playing with homemade slime, a project she said she's done with her child many times before without any problem.
Siobhan Quinn said her fifth-grader, Kathleen, suffered second and third-degree burns on her hands after playing with the slime, a DIY trend that became popular this year.
"She was crying in pain, 'my hands hurt, my hands hurt,' " Quinn said in an interview with ABC News. "When we looked at them, they were covered in blisters."
The most common recipe for slime involves just three ingredients — Elmer's Glue, household cleaner Borax and water. You can also add a little bit of food coloring for effect.
"I thought it was great," Quinn said. "I encouraged it, I bought all the stuff, and then when they were gone, I bought more. She was being a little scientist ... [Now] I feel terrible. I feel like the worst mother."
She took her daughter to a hospital where doctors said the injuries were likely the result of prolonged exposure to borax.
Chief Scientific Officer of Consumer Reports, James Dickerson, has warned about the dangers of using borax for purposes other than cleaning or laundry, but parents still use it.
"Just because you have it around, just because it seems to be perfectly safe for those types of applications doesn't mean it should be used in anything else, particularly household slime," Dickerson told WCVB last week.
Like many others, Quinn said she's made the slime many times before without a problem, but now she's warning others against it.
"I've had mothers say, 'Oh, we've made it a million times, it's fine, nothing happened to my child. We made it a million times, too, and nothing else happened," she said.
[H/T: ABC News]