Kim Kardashian speaks out after being accused of “wearing blackface” in promotional images for her KKW Beauty last week.
The E! reality star announced her new makeup line on social media and some users called her out for the darkness of her skin tone in the photos. She addressed the controversy directly in an interview with The New York Times published on Monday.
"I would obviously never want to offend anyone," said Kardashian, whose children with Kanye West are biracial. "I used an amazing photographer and a team of people. I was really tan when we shot the images, and it might be that the contrast was off. But I showed the image to many people, to many in the business. No one brought that to our attention. No one mentioned it."
"Of course, I have the utmost respect for why people might feel the way they did. But we made the necessary changes to that photo and the rest of the photos. We saw the problem, and we adapted and changed right away," the mother of two continued. "Definitely I have learned from it."
The Keeping Up With the Kardashians star also opened up about her new business. Her KKW Beauty will launch on Wednesday with its first product, the Crème Contour and Highlight Kit, which includes a contour stick, a highlighter stick and a brush/sponge, all with dual ends. The package will be sold for $48 and comes in four different shades.
"In the beginning, this line will really be about all the correcting and perfecting tricks I've learned. There's the cream contour. There will also be powder contour and undereye concealer. I've always had dark undereye circles from being Armenian," said Kardashian. "These are the things I feel like I've really perfected."
Although she is gravitated to a more natural day-to-day look, the 36-year-old says she has “always stayed true to contour.”
Kardashian also revealed that “having kids really changes” up her makeup routine, hence her low-maintenance looks.
Photo Credit: Twitter / @KimKardashian