Do you know if throughout the day your metabolism is predominantly burning carbohydrates and proteins (lean muscle) or do you burn calories from the breakdown of fats for energy? Dr. Len Lopez has developed a quiz to help you answer these questions and to find out how far you metabolism has shifted.
Take the quiz below to determine if you are living in the Fat Burning Zone or if your metabolism is under-performing.
Mental check all that apply:
- Crave sweets/coffee in mid-morning/afternoon
- Hungry between meals
- Mid-morning and/or afternoon slumps
- Irritable before meals or if meals are delayed
- Get shaky or light-headed if meals are delayed
- Fatigue that eating relieves
- Awaken a few hours after sleep, hard to get back to sleep
- Excessive appetite
- Problems with low blood sugar or hypoglycemia
- Afternoon headaches
- You skip meals
- Problems with memory, concentration and focus
- Eat sweets, refined foods and fast foods
- Family history of diabetes
- Excessive urination, excessive thirst
- Fasting serum or plasma glucose greater than 140 mg/dl
- Overweight by 40 or more pounds
Total your score then read about your score results below.
Score: 1 - 2. Your metabolism is probably functioning properly. Blood sugar issues are NOT a major factor and you are doing a good job of staying in your 'fat-burning' zone throughout the day.
Score: 3 - 8. Occasional blood sugar issues may be affecting your energy, ability to lose weight, cravings, etc. You are probably NOT burning fats for energy and instead your metabolism is more often burning carbohydrates and proteins. Blood sugar and dietary choices need to be addressed.
Dr. Len Lopez is a Clinical Nutritionist, Chiropractic Sports Physician, and Strength and Conditioning Coach. He is the author of "To Burn Or Not To Burn, Fat Is The Question" and creator of the WorkHorse Fitness Trainer. He blends both sports medicine and natural medicine and his years of clinical practice has taught him that “it’s about training and dieting smarter, not longer or harder.”