Cinco de Mayo is here and that means enjoying foods with a Spanish flare. Spices, beans and chicken are usually the standard fare, but so many of these dishes are high in calories, carbs and fat. Finger foods are usually the undoing of most people’s healthy diets because they are so easy to keep eating at a party or celebration. Before you know it, you’ve just eaten way too many of them, and you haven't even sat down for dinner. But, don’t worry. It only takes a few simple swaps to turn these recipes into healthy ones. Check out these 18 Cinco de Mayo finger foods that you won’t feel bad about eating during your fiesta:
1. Copycat Chipotle Pico de Gallo: This recipe is so simple you’ll have difficulty believing it is just as good, if not better, than the real deal. Tomatoes, onions and jalapeno peppers are mixed with lemon juice, sea salt and cilantro. Enjoy it on top of your favorite tortilla chips or even as a salad dressing.
2. Loaded Nachos with Turkey Beans and Cheese: What makes this recipe “skinny”? First, the turkey is nearly fat free. The sour cream is light and the cheese is reduced fat. Even the black bean dip is fat free and the tortilla chips are baked rather than fried. Yup - load them up because, well, you can! (via Skinnytaste)
3. Fiesta Broccoli Dip: Why not make a dip out of broccoli since it’s packed with so many nutrients? Combine it with some Greek yogurt, lime, hot sauce, cilantro and a bit of avocado for extra creaminess. Some peppers and corn thrown in and this chunky dip will be your new veggie condiment favorite. (via Kath Eats Real Food)
4. Skinny Taco Dip: Most taco dips are brimming over with fat and calories. But not this one. All the ingredients like the sour cream, cream cheese and cheddar cheese are reduced fat. The remaining ingredients are naturally healthy like black olives, lettuce and tomatoes. This makes the perfect topper for both your tortilla chips and your tacos. (via Skinnytaste)
5. Black Bean Corn and Avocado Dip: All the flavors of Cinco de Mayo are in this recipe including black beans, corn, avocado and peppers. The flavor is in the tangy blend of olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, lime and cumin. Pretty sure you will be enjoying this one long after Cinco de Mayo is over and done.
6. Mini Mexican Pizzas: Italian goes Mexican with this incredibly creative recipe that your kids are going to absolutely love. Whole wheat tortillas take the form of shells in a muffin tin and then filled with all your Mexican favorites like ground beef or turkey, refried beans, salsa and cheese. Bake them up and then add whatever toppings you like—olives, sour cream, guacamole or tomatoes. (via Dashing Dish)
7. Guacamole Reinvented: Nothing goes to waste in this recipe because the avocado skin serves as the bowl. The flesh is mixed with a bevy of ingredients like oranges, radishes and lettuce along with lime juice, cilantro and hot sauce. Nothing like a new twist on a classic dish. (via Vegetarian Times)
8. Tempeh Taco Bites: Tacos don’t always have to have some type of meat in them. And these taco bites are so tasty you and your family won’t even notice that it’s missing in this scrumptious recipe. Four ingredients are all you need—tempeh, whole wheat tortilla, salsa and cheese. Bake the tempeh in salsa, roll it up in the tortilla with the cheese and bake again. (via Pop Sugar)
9. Chicken Mole Tostadas: Your tortilla chips just got a whole lot more interesting with this flavorful blend of chicken, onion, pumpkin seed sauce and an amazingly delicious avocado cream. All the flavors, but with none of the guilt. (via Delish)
10. Stuffed Tomatoes: Take some oversized tomatoes and stuff them with every Cinco de Mayo food you can name - chicken, poblano chiles, chicken, corn, cheese and a bunch of spices. These tomatoes may seem more like hand foods than finger foods since they are big and bursting with goodness. (via Delish)
11. Sweet Potato Black Bean and Kale Quesadillas: Not only are these quesadillas healthy, but they are vegetarian-friendly and oh so delicious. Sweet potatoes, black beans and everyone’s favorite super food, kale, are the main ingredients. Oregano, chili powder and cumin add the flavor. (via Cookie Monster Cooking)
12. Fruit Tacos with Chocolate Tortillas: Here is a truly unique recipe that you, your family and Cinco de Mayo celebration guests will absolutely flip for and enjoy. You’ll start by making your own chocolate tortilla using whole wheat flour, agave and cocoa powder. After they are baked, you will stuff them your favorite fruit like berries, papaya and mango. You can even add some toppings. What a fun and sweet way to enjoy a taco. (via Munchin with Munchkin)
13. Mini Taco Cups: Oh the many things you can do with tacos without looking like a taco. This recipe replaces the usual shell with a whole wheat tortilla cup that is stuffed with all your traditional taco favorites like cheese, meat, beans, lettuce, tomato and salsa. Less mess with these so you can eat them whenever and where ever. (via I heart naptime)
14. Southwestern Taquitos: Taquitos are a perfect finger food because everything is neatly wrapped up in the tortillas. What’s inside is up to you, but this recipe suggests chicken, tomatoes, beans, jalapenos and cheese. The flavor comes from cumin, garlic powder, cilantro and lime juice. So much flavor in one little taquito. (via Baked by Joanna)
15. Margarita Chicken Skewers: If you’re having a Cinco de Mayo celebration, these chicken skewers are going to be a real crowd pleaser. The chicken is marinated in a blend of margarita mix, tequila and cilantro. Grill the chicken to really get the flavors out or, if you prefer, bake them. Either way, they are going to be Cinco de Mayo delicious. (via Food Network)
16. Black Bean Flautas: You can call these five-ingredient flautas because that’s all you’ll need with this recipe. Whole wheat tortillas, taco seasoning, green chiles, cheddar cheese and black beans. Simply stuff the tortillas with these healthy ingredients and bake. (via Skinny Ms.)
17. Baked Taco Fries: Here’s a Mexican twist on traditional French fries that are quick and healthy. Regular potatoes and sweet potatoes are cut and baked with a sprinkle of taco seasoning over them. Once they are brown and crispy, you can dig right into them. These may end up replacing your regular French fries all the time. (via Undressed Skeleton)
18. Crunchy Taco Chickpeas: One bite of these and you won’t be able to stop popping them in your mouth all day long. Chickpeas get a spicy coating of olive oil, pepper, paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne powder. These bite-sized munchies are crunchy, spicy and incredibly addictive. (via Undressed Skeleton)
You can forget about a full-blown Cinco de Mayo dinner. These finger foods are so delicious that they hold their own as a filling, satisfying and healthy meal. Think of it as a Cinco de Mayo buffet complete with everything you could possibly want.