Spring is here and that means Mother’s Day is just around the corner. It also means it’s a great time to enjoy a fresh salad packed with seasonal fruits and vegetables. Now is the best time to throw out those boring winter salads and try some new and exciting ones that you can enjoy this Mother’s Day or any day this warm-weather season. Here are some great recipes to add to your menu:
1. Healthy Bean and Bulgur Salad: Top your usual lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onions with some bulgur and beans—garbanzo and black. Add some spices like cumin, garlic and chili powder with a bit of white balsamic vinegar and you’ve got yourself one healthy salad that is packed with flavor and protein.
2. Sweet Peach and Spicy Chickpea Salad: Pureed peaches and hemp seeds create the dressing atop of a delicious mix of lettuce, cucumber, peppers, mango and chickpeas. Just toss it all together for one deliciously satisfying salad. (via DAMY Health)
3. Taco Salad: What makes taco salads so perfect is that they are loaded with vegetables, beans, and in this recipe, lean ground beef. It’s like a taco, but without the high-carb shell.
4. High Protein Vegan Fiesta Salad: Even if you are not a vegan, you're still going to fall in love with this salad that includes spinach, tomatoes, chickpeas, beans, avocado and pepper. Quinoa also makes an appearance in this one. The dressing is a sweet blend of agave, lime juice and a hint (or more) of cayenne pepper if you like your salads spicy. (via DAMY Health)
5. BBQ Chicken Salad: Chicken on top of a salad is always good, but when it’s BBQ chicken, it’s even better. This one gets the skinny treatment with a sauce that uses light ranch dressing and low-sugar barbecue sauce. Healthy and delicious.
6. Cobb Salad: Protein is the big winner in this salad that includes hard boiled eggs and chicken. After that comes all your Cobb favorites like lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, turkey bacon and avocado. Reduced calorie dressing completes this yummy ensemble.
7. Asian Layered Salad: The sesame dressing is what gives this unique salad its Asian flare. But you can also thank the water chestnuts, mandarin oranges, peas and almonds that help to create a mix of Asian culture and flavors. (via Nosh and Nourish)
8. Tandoori Chicken and Spinach Salad: Name any spice and this salad probably has it - cumin, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg and coriander. Chicken provides the meat, not to mention the protein, and the spinach is the beautiful bed for this blend of goodness. (via Good Life Eats)
9. Sunny Summer Quinoa Salad: Quinoa gets the royal treatment in this salad that also includes zucchini, peppers and sunflower seeds. The dressing is made up of several spices including cumin, turmeric, garlic, cayenne, lemon juice and cilantro. (via Pinot Mom)
10. Asian Quinoa Salad: Not sure what to do with quinoa? Here’s a great way to spice it up Asian style with some cabbage, edamame, carrots, pepper and cucumber. You won’t need a salad with this dish since all the veggies are right there for you to enjoy. (via Two Peas & Their Pod)
11. Summer Berry Salad: Here’s a salad that’s as easy to make as it is tasty to eat. On top of your heaping pile of spinach, add a handful of blueberries, kiwi, strawberries and honey roasted almonds. Add some protein in the form of hard boiled eggs, sliced turkey breast or some chicken - whatever strikes your mood.
12. French Country Salad: This salad combines sweet, savory, crunchy and creamy all in one. Top a spring mix with some pecans, pickled beets, asparagus and reduced-fat feta cheese. After that, add some blackened salmon. You’ll feel like dining outdoors with this copycat Cheesecake Factory salad.
13. Sonoma Chicken Salad: If you follow a Paleo diet, this one is for you. The dressing is made from walnut oil, egg yolk and Dijon mustard. The salad is a hearty mix of chicken, onions, celery, carrots and blueberries. All natural and all healthy. (via PaleOMG)
14. Lightened Waldorf Salad: Most Waldorf salads are creamy due to their overflow of mayonnaise in the dressing. But not here. A little bit of light mayo mixed with non-fat yogurt makes this salad healthier as well as sweet with honey and orange juice added to it. Throw in the usual Waldorf salad staples like walnuts, apples, celery and strawberries and you have yourself a guiltless and delicious salad. (via Yummy Healthy Easy)
15. Pan-Seared Salmon Salad: This summery recipe brings all the fresh flavors of the season together with the mouthwatering zing of citrus salmon. 16. Chopped Kale and Pomegranate Salad: Chop up some kale and then add some pomegranate seeds, diced avocado and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle it with a blend of lemon juice, olive oil, agave, salt and pepper. This one is brimming with your favorite super foods and is both simple and delicious. (via Cookin' Canuck)
17. Brain Power Salad: Why is this salad called “Brain Power”? That’s easy - it’s filled with ingredients like blueberries, smoked salmon and spinach that support healthy brain function. Walnuts and avocado are included for a dose of healthy fat. The dressing also contributes to the “power” of this salad where hemp seeds, honey and olive oil are combined for a sweet and tangy taste. (via Gimme Me Some Oven)
18. Shrimp Cobb Salad with Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette: Why not throw some creole-style shrimp on your Cobb salad? And when it’s atop a delicious mix of lettuce, eggs, bacon, avocado and goat cheese, it’s even more delicious. The cilantro lime dressing brings out the flavor of each ingredient. (via Damn Delicious)
19. Jerusalem Salad: This salad is not what you might think. While it might be short on ingredients, it’s not short on great taste. Cucumbers, tomatoes and onions are covered in a combination of olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley. So simple, yet so good. (via The Wanderlust Kitchen)
20. Lemon Thyme Chicken Salad: Once you have this flavorful lemon and thyme-infused chicken on top of your salad greens, you will never want to eat another chicken salad again. Packed with protein and bursting with flavor, you may have to fend off your family from eating your Mother’s Day salad. (via My Recipes)
21. Strawberry Spinach Salad: It may sound like an odd combination, but it’s surprisingly delicious to add fresh strawberries to your spinach, especially when you top it with some almonds. The secret is in the dressing that combines red wine vinegar, garlic, sugar (or stevia), salt, pepper, olive oil and dry mustard. Give this one a try and savor every fresh bite. (via Kalyn's Kitchen)
22. Cannellini Tuna Salad: Bet you never had tuna salad this way - filled with cannellini beans, capers and tomatoes. Fold it into a marinade of olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. No heavy mayo required with this tuna salad. (via Tidy Mom)
23. Grilled Salmon Salad: The salmon is the big star of this salad after it cooks in a marinade of brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Once done, put it on top of your salad greens either on its own or with the special tomato vinaigrette dressing. It’s delicious either way! (via My Recipes)
Don’t settle for those ho-hum salads that leave little to the imagination or your taste buds. These 23 recipes will get you excited about eating salads again. And on Mother’s Day, it should definitely be all about you!