Recipe: Portobella Pizza Caps
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15-18 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 2 caps
8 portobella mushroom caps
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups pizza sauce
4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1 green bell pepper, diced
½ small red onion, diced
2 white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
32 turkey pepperonis
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
2. To prepare the mushroom caps: Remove the gills by gently scraping them out with the tip of a spoon, and discard them. They are not harmful to eat, but removing them will result in more space for the pizza filling.
3. Place the caps gill-side up (gills removed) on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Layer each cap with ¼ cup of sauce, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, ¼ cup cheese, evenly distributed green bell pepper, onions, mushroom slices, and 4 pepperonis.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes until the mushroom cap is tender and the cheese is melted.
Per Serving: (2 caps)
Calories from fat: 16
Saturated Fat: 8g
The nutrition content of recipes on Womanista.com has been calculated by Registered Dietitian, Jessica Penner, of Smart Nutrition.