We've all heard the golden rule of weight loss: If you want to cut out some extra poundage, you've got to cut roughly 500 calories a day in order to drop a pound a week. That may seem straightforward, but keeping your workouts fresh can be a real challenge! If you are looking for a way to revamp your routine, or you just aren't feeling an intense session at the gym, try giving these exercises a shot! In less than 30 minutes, you can burn through 200 calories or more, which goes a long way toward that daily goal.
>> Short on time? Check out this Turbocharged 30-Minute Total Body Workout
1. Inline skating: For a workout that will get you off the couch and out into nature, why not give roller skating a go? The side-to-side motion really engages your thighs, glutes, and core, so be prepared to feel the burn. Fifteen minutes is all it takes to tear through 200 calories!
2. 30-20-10 Workout: This new phenomenon is quickly gaining popularity as a performance-enhancer and calorie-blaster for exercise enthusiasts. Start with 30 seconds of jogging, move immediately to 20 seconds of normal running, and then finish with 10 seconds of all-out sprinting. Repeat that 5 times (we promise the time goes by fast!) and then walk or slowly jog it out for 2 minutes! Repeat that sequence once more, and you've taken care of those 200 calories for the day. Not a big fan of running? Try this sequence with your favorite cardio equipment!
3. Rock Climbing: Skip the gym and head outside for a little adventure! Rock climbing is a total-body workout that shreds fat and utilizes muscles you didn't even know you had. Plus, it only takes 20 minutes to burn those 200 calories! You can also check out our Ultimate Guide to Outdoor Fitness here!
4. Jump Rope: Rediscover your childhood passion with jump roping! Just 20 minutes a day can burn more than 200 calories, and the best part is, you can do this in the comfort of your own home (maybe even in front of the TV!). You can mix it up with speed intervals, or use one foot and then the other to really tone up those thighs and calves! Don't have a jump rope? No problem! Just mimic the movement; you'll burn just as many calories!
5. Dancing: Regardless of whether you are hitting up a club with your friends or rocking out to Just Dance with your little ones, dancing is a great, fun way to burn through those 200 calories! In just 30 minutes, you can burn up to 220 calories, but you've got to keep moving the whole time! Check out our Cardio Hip Hop Dance Party below:
6. Hula Hooping: Just 20 minutes of swinging those hips will rip through those extra 200 calories! Make sure that you invest in an adult-sized hoop, as they are larger and slightly heavier than the child-sized ones. This will make it easier to maintain continuous motion. You can even have your kids join in for some bonding time in the backyard!
>> Read more: Fun vs. Fitness: Get the Best of Both Worlds
7. Cross Country Skiing: Ready for a workout that is sure to crank up your heart rate and keep you sweating despite the snow? With cross country skiing you can burn more than 200 calories in 25 minutes! If you are more of a downhill skier, have no fear! Just tack on an extra five minutes, and you will rip right through those calories.