If you’re blaming your lack of weight loss progress on your slow basal metabolism, think again. Even if your resting metabolic rate isn’t impressive, these tricks will have your fat-burners kicked into high gear and require little to no effort!
1. Have a queen’s breakfast: Since sleep slows your metabolism, breakfast is essential to kickstarting it the following morning; it starts thermogenesis to promote the metabolic process of digestion. Choosing a big breakfast with high-fiber grains and lean protein can help you stay full until lunch. You’re more active during the day, so eating larger breakfasts and lunches can boost fat-burn.
2. Gulp green tea and coffee: You can’t go wrong by starting the day with green tea. It’s calorie-free and loaded with antioxidants that help boost metabolism. It promotes fat oxidation and thermogenesis, which burns calories as the tea is digested and it also halts PPAR compounds which turn on fat cell production. But if you’d rather stick to your morning Joe, it can also speed your metabolism as it heightens your heart rate with caffeine. Check out coffee's other benefits here!
3. Stay cool: Our body’s temperature regulates itself to keep the ideal 98.6 degrees, but simply turning up the AC can throw off your internal temp. As your body works to raise it, you burn calories! A study by the National Institute of Health Clinical Center found that people who slept in a 66-degree room burned over 7 percent more calories than those in a mild 75-degree bedroom.
4. Spice up your life: Does eating spicy foods make you break into a sweat? That’s because it contains capsaicin, which is known to raise your body’s temperature and trigger the sympathetic nervous system which produces sweat. It burns major calories for your body to stabilize its temperature and the hotter the food, the bigger the fat burn.
>> Read more: Turn Up the Heat to Cool Down: 7 Skinny Spicy Recipes
5. Plan a 2.5 minute workout: If you’re a little on the lazy side, you’ll be happy to know that 2.5 minutes of activity will give you a huge boost! Research shows that people who do five 30-second bursts of high-intensity cycling, followed by four minutes of rest, burned 200 extra calories that day. The effects of this boost will last 24 to 48 hours, even while resting! And if you do enjoy the gym, try interval training for maximum calorie burn. (via Huffington Post)
6. Get the giggles: Stop being so serious! A study published in the International Journal of Obesity found that genuine laughter increases energy expenditure and heart rate 10 to 20 percent above resting values. This means that enjoying life with a laugh for 10-15 minutes a day could lead to work-free calorie burn — and that’s something to smile about.
7. Don’t overdo your diet: While cutting back on calories will certainly help you shed unwanted pounds, slicing too much from your diet might trick your body in the wrong way. When you don’t consume enough calories, your metabolism slows fat-burning to conserve energy. To keep this in check, make sure you eat at least the equivalent of your basal metabolic rate (BMR - your resting rate). To calculate your BMR, click here!