Belly bulge hangover can not only ruin the excitement over a new pair of skinny jeans, but it can also be a buzzkill when it comes to body confidence. Certain foods cause our mid-section to hang onto fat, while other foods can help us melt that muffin top and feel confident in stepping out in our stylish skinnies. Incorporate these nine foods into your diet on a regular basis for a muffin top makeover.
1. Cinnamon: This spice is said to have a stabilizing effect on blood sugar levels. What does this have to do with belly bulge? It can help keep appetite cravings at bay with virtually no additional calorie intake. Add a little of this sweet spice to your yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, or tea to keep cravings curbed.
2. Whole grains: Incorporating whole grains into your diet causes your body to work harder to break down these grains as opposed to simple processed foods. Incorporate things like brown rice that is not enriched, and whole rolled oats into your meal plan.
3. Watermelon: Foods that are high in water content tend to take up more room during digestion which help you feel more full without overfeeding yourself with foods dense in calories and fat. The result? More fat burning opportunities, minus the hunger. There are tons of yummy recipes out there that use watermelon, so try them all! Learn to properly cut a watermelon with the video below.
4. Lean meats: Lean meats cause a thermogenic effect due to their protein content. What does this mean? To put it simply, it causes your body to burn 30% more calories during digestion than other foods. If you're tired of eating boneless, skinless chicken however, check out this tasty Honey Lemon Glazed Chicken.
5. Low-fat dairy: Calcium helps contain muscle. Muscle helps to burn fat on an ongoing basis. The takeaway: include calcium-rich, low-fat dairy items into your diet to help banish belly bulge. Some great options are a low-fat and low-sodium cottage cheese or a greek yogurt!
6. Eggs: One egg contains a fairly minute 75 calories, and a hefty portion of protein and nutrients. Having eggs for breakfast has been shown to help you feel less hungry later in the day than a breakfast high in carbs or sugars.
>> Do you know the difference between caged, uncaged and free range eggs? Get the skinny by clicking here.
7. Green tea: For a little help in revving up the metabolism, look to green tea. Aim for several glasses a day, whether it’s hot or cold. Fill a thermos or water bottle with iced green tea to get an adequate daily dosage to help fight fat. We love this recipe for Green Tea Lemonade!
8. Hot peppers: If you like a little spice, then you’re in luck! Adding a little heat to your diet also heats up your body which results in additional calorie burn. Hot sauce and cayenne can be perfect additions to spice up your eggs or meat and heat up your body’s internal fat burning inferno.
9. Soup: Soup is another great water-dense food that helps you to feel full while containing a low calorie count. A great dish to eat before a meal to take up space and help you feel fulfilled to avoid splurging on other less healthy dishes. Our favorite soup dish to melt the muffin top? Skinny Mom's Weight Loss Soup! Just avoid high-sodium soups; salt can sneak into a lot of processed foods!
To double the efforts in your muffin top melt down, try these exercises that are proven to fight belly fat!