You've read over and over again that fruits and vegetables are the basis of any healthy diet, but it's true that some are better for you than others. If you want to lose weight, make sure all of your meals have servings of the basics, but especially vegetables. In fact, these 5 vegetables are great for helping you lose weight.
1. Broccoli: This little vegetable is a great source of both calcium and fiber. One cup is only 30 calories but has more than 2 grams of fiber and over 100 percent of your daily amount of vitamin C. Fiber is essential to weight loss because it helps with digestion and keeps the body from absorbing sugar. Learn more about fiber here.
2. Spinach: Popeye recommended, Skinny Mom approved. Spinach is a leafy green that should be eaten wherever you can put it! Make it into a tasty salad, add it onto a sandwich to sauté it into dinner. A cup of spinach is only 7 calories but is a great source of vitamins A and C, plus fiber. This veggie is an awesome source of protein, so it builds muscle, fills you up and contains compounds called thylakoids that has been shown to curve cravings.
3. Brussels sprouts: High in fiber but low in calories, this is another great veggie so hopefully you've grown out of your hatred of them. They are full of vitamins and nutrients that your body needs and can be prepared in a variety of ways. We love to make Balsamic Orange Brussels Sprouts. Learn more about how healthy this veggie is by clicking here.
4. Sweet potatoes: A medium-sized sweet potato (about the size of a closed fist) is about half the calories of a white potato, and it can give you a big dose of fiber and vitamin A. The flavor is also a good way to get yourself to eat a vegetable, and the sweetness can help cure any cravings you may get. We love our recipe for sweet potatoes — have you tried them yet?
5. Cucumbers: This veggie is filled with water. It makes for an excellent healthy snack because it will fill you up faster and has very little calories. It's also a great addition to a salad. Learn more about their health benefits here.