As the month of January drags on, it gets harder and harder to remember just why you set that resolution in the first place. Don't let time get the best of you! We have 14 ways to motivate yourself to stick to your plan and reach your healthy goals.
1. There's an app for that. There's a new app called Yaye that might be what you need to stay on track with your fitness goals! This app allows you to connect with friends and set challenges with each other to hold you accountable. It'll count your steps throughout the day, so even if you haven't hit the gym yet, Yaye knows you've been active! It'll also provide you with analysis, statistics and suggestions to help keep you moving. Download it for free here and get your friends involved!
2. Start journaling. If you can keep track of your progress, it may keep you motivated to continue. If you keep a running list of the foods you eat, you'll be able to see your eating habits more clearly and can make a healthier change. Log your workouts along with stats so you can see your improvement as time goes by. After each workout, jot down a few words about how it made you feel. Energized? Strong? Sore? Write it down!
3. Reward yourself. If you have a goal, then you should reward yourself. Whether it's a new piece of workout clothes or an appointment at the nail salon, remind yourself that you're worth it! Just try not to reward yourself with food!
4. Gear up. It's important to have the right equipment. Invest in a set of light and heavy dumbbells that you can keep at home for the days you can't make the gym. Even if you don't have the space for an entire home gym, keeping a jump rope and resistance band on hand is a great idea too.
5. Pick your most challenging move and work on it every day. That might not seem motivational, but if you commit to doing burpees every day (and recording your results), you'll be shocked at your improvement! You can do this with running, planks, pushups, squats, the list goes on and on! Can you do burpees for 60 straight seconds alongside Skinny Mom CEO and Founder Brooke Griffin?
6. Work out in the morning. If you can get up 30 minutes early to work out, you'll have a much better day. After working out, you will want to eat healthier so you can maintain the clean day you've already started! Plus, by the time evening rolls around, you'll have come up with a lot of excuses to not workout.
7. Get inspired by the incredible success stories of other women. You can read these weight loss journeys and use their achievements as your motivation!
8. Set weekly goals. Give yourself a goal, like go to the gym 5 times this week, do 15 pushups every day this week or take a walk after your nightly meals. Then write them on a piece of paper and hang it somewhere you won't forget it.
9. Look good, feel good. Go out and buy yourself something cute to wear to the gym. Those ratty old T-shirts are only going to stick to your sweaty self! Buy some quality sports bras, grab some fun patterned workout leggings, and hit the gym in style.
10. Make mini challenges. When you're working out and about to give up, challenge yourself. Push yourself to run for just 15 more seconds; force your legs into just one more burpee and add three extra sit-ups onto your last set. The little accomplishments will give you a big happy boost.
11. Ask yourself if you'll regret it. When you are about to skip the gym, ask yourself, "Will I regret skipping the gym?" Before you grab that last cookie ask yourself, "Will I regret eating it? Does my body need this?" You may not like your answer, but it'll keep you on track.
12. Involve your friends. Maybe you don't love the idea of a workout buddy (although we totally suggest them) but you can still use your fitness as a way to spend some time with your girlfriends! Meet up at a local trail for a power walk or invite them to try a new Pilates studio with you instead of going out for dinner.
13. Try something new. If you've been hitting the treadmill, it's time to sign up for a fun fitness class! Buy a package of a few classes at a boutique studio. You'll go so you won't waste your money and you'll have fun doing something new!
14. Remember why you started. Are you trying to get back to your pre-baby weight? Do you have a fave pair of skinny jeans that you want to wear? Whatever made you decided to be healthy is a great motivator to keep it up. Repeat it in your head like a mantra when the last two minutes on the treadmill seem impossible.
How do you stay motivated? Share with us in the comments below!