The elusive hourglass figure. Marilyn Monroe had it. Scarlett Johansson's got it, as do Christina Hendricks, Beyoncé, Sophia Vergara and Jennifer Lopez. And if you want it too, you're going to have to work for it.
One of the best ways to create these curves is to combine fat-blasting fitness with muscle-building exercises. Below, we have put together a fast and furious hourglass figure workout that will get your heart pumping and your muscles reshaping for that sexy, curvy, hourglass figure. Try doing this full-body, 30-minute workout 2-3 times a week for optimal results.
Warmup: Start with 5-10 minutes of light cardio movement (stepping in place, walking, squats, upper body movements). Follow along with the Basic Warmup below if you don't have a regular routine.
1. Power Squats: This move will get your heart rate up and begin the fat-burning process. Skinny Mom founder and CEO Brooke Griffin suggests starting with one minute of high intensity effort, then resting for 30 seconds before moving onto the next move. To learn this move, click here.
2. Side Kicks: This is a cardio move that'll begin shaping your lower body, too! Knock out a full minute of this move before continuing on your quest for an hourglass figure. Get the details of this exercise here.
3. Plank Skis with Sliding Discs: This waist-whittling strength training move will cinch the waistline and strengthen the core, helping to create that hourglass figure. Don’t have sliding discs? Try paper plates, frisbees or even a dish towel depending on the surface you're using. Perform this move for one minute, completing as many reps as possible. See it here!
4. Speed Bag Punches: Get that heart rate back up before moving into the next muscle-sculpting movement with speed bag punches. Perform it for one minute, grab a quick drink of water and move right on to the next shaping exercise. Click here for more details.
5. Lunge to Single Leg Deadlift: Creating curves means building sculpted leg muscles. This combo is a perfect way to strengthen leg muscles, lift the booty and engage the core in one power movement. You want to perform this move for one minute, getting in as many reps as possible. This moves takes balance and coordination, so don't worry if you don't get in a lot of reps at first. Get step-by-step instructions by clicking here.
6. Tip Toe Squat: On this final move of the series, stay focused on the lower body. This will help to continue sculpting the large leg muscles. Be sure your belly button is pulled in and tight, always engaging the core to enhance waist-cinching core strength. Do this move for one minute with as many reps as possible. For detailed description on how to do this move, click here.
For best results, repeat this series four times through for your 30-minute workout focused on burning fat and creating sculpted curves. Before you know it, you'll be rockin' a curvy, hourglass figure!