For some women, the hardest area to tone is the core. After a few weeks of strength training, you see definition in your biceps and triceps, or firmer-looking legs, but at times you feel like no matter how hard you work your belly, it just doesn't look much different.
All you really need is to find a few exercises that really work your abdominal muscles and you'll start seeing results! Here are seven exercises that will help give you killer abs.
1. Reverse Crunch: Getting bored of doing normal crunches in hopes of scoring amazing abs? Try reverse crunches to switch up your routine. See how to do reverse crunches by clicking here.
2. Forearm Plank: This move keeps your core engaged to earn your abs. Posture is important when doing a plank, so click here to learn how to do the move.
Modification (advanced): To really challenge yourself, position your elbows even further ahead so that there is more distance between your elbows and toes.
3. Russian Twist: This exercise is great when done correctly! And, as is the case with many of these, it can be intensified with a medicine ball, hand weight, etc. Learn more about this move here.
4. Bicycle Crunch: This classic workout is a great one that engages all your stomach muscles! For this exercise to work, the movement has to come from your abs; simply swinging your elbows from side to side doesn't work your stomach. Click here to see how to do a bicycle crunch.
5. Pilates Sit-Up: This move is perfect for working your abs, but correct posture is a must! Learn more about the Pilates sit-up here or watch it done below.
6. Crab Twist: Here's another fun twist on the crunch that will have you feeling the burn! See how to do the crab twist by clicking here.
7. Ab Roll Up: This move really gets you moving! If you want to work your core, learn how to master the move here.
8. Healthy Diet: Great abdominals start in the kitchen. This isn't an exercise per se, but it is an exercise in willpower. You can do crunches all day long, but if you don’t alter your diet then you won’t see a big change. You have to fight the belly fat in order to show off the muscle definition that the exercises are accomplishing. Some great abdominal friendly foods include: walnuts, olive oil, pistachios, almonds, avocado, flax seed oil, macadamia nuts, natural peanut butter, sunflower seeds and dark or semi sweet chocolate.