While not all of us can shake it as well as Shakira, we can obtain rockin' legs and abs like her. And the good news is you don't have to learn to dance on a professional level to get there. There are so many simple moves inspired by dancers that anyone can use and still see results. (Bonus: they're fun, as all workouts should be!) We've gathered up seven go-to moves to shimmy your way to a happier, healthier you. Stick to this regime, and you'll start to see the beginnings of a dancer's body.
For dancers, it's all about stability. Stabilization comes from the core; and while that can help with a dancer's craft, a tight core can help you look and feel good. Whenever doing any of these moves, always remember to keep your posture up and your abs in nice and tight, not only for a better workout, but also because it prevents you from injuring yourself. Not only is your core important, but what catches your eye about a dancer is their strong, lean legs. All of these awesome workouts will you give you legs you'll be proud of.
1. Calf raises: Get those legs tight from ankle up with this move. You can do this move on flat ground or take it to the next level by doing it on the stairs or with dumbbells. This is a great move to do anytime of the day — standing in line, waiting for the microwave to beep or brushing your teeth! Click here to see the move.
2. Side Plank Clamshells: This is a great move to work your booty and core at the same time! It's a variation of a side plank that can really change your usual workout routine. Watch the video below or click here to see how it's done!
3. Floor Tricep Dips: Have you seen a ballerina's arms? Those pretty things may look delicate, but they are strong, too. Who doesn't want that? Try this move out to not only get toned arms, but while keeping your core tight along the way, you'll see a stronger abdomen as well. Click here to see the move!
4. Fire Hydrant: Best move ever. Why? It's an AMAZING workout for your glutes. You'll feel the burn while you tone and tighten that booty. Click here to see how it's done.
>> Read more: For a similar move, and a variation of the plank, check out our Booty Lift Plank.
5. Glute Bridge: When you think "core," don't just think abs. Your lower back takes on a lot of stress to work your body out. Use this move to strengthen it. This move will also tighten that booty, too. For step-by-step instructions, click here.
6. Squats: The infamous squat: a move everyone should do. When you get a squat correctly, you are not only going to work your bum, you will essentially tighten everything. To tighten even your arms while squatting, hold some light dumbbells (unless you like a challenge — who says they have to be "light"?). Perfect your squats here.
7. Plank: As it's been said, a dancer's bod is all about the core, and the plank is the perfect move to strengthen yours. So, drop down and give me 5 reps, holding for 20 seconds and resting for 5 seconds (gradually progress to a minute). Click here for details on this move.
>> Read more: Click here to check out our Plank Guide, a huge collection of plank-variations.
8. Lying Double Leg Lift: Your inner and outer thighs will feel the burn after this leg lift variation. Rather than lifting one leg at a time, your lower leg rises to meet the rising leg! Keep your core tight during this exercise and allow it to move your limbs. Watch the video below, then check out the move here.
Remember, you don't have to be a top-notch dancer to look like one. Get up and start doing these moves. Make sure to have a fun playlist in the background. We've created perfect playlists for any mood. Have fun!