Men are from Mars and women are from Venus — and that's never been more true than when it comes to weight loss. Men lose weight faster than women. It's all biology, ladies, and here are the facts.
1. Muscle mass: Unfortunately for the fairer sex, men naturally have a larger muscle mass and faster resting metabolic rate, which makes their metabolism work faster than a woman's. The faster metabolism you have, the more calories you burn, the more weight you lose. It's that simple. Fortunately for you, there's a solution! Hit the gym, grab some weights and start pumping that iron. Building your muscle mass will make losing weight much easier.
2. Women have more estrogen: Our bodies store more fat because we have higher levels of estrogen. This hormone actively works to keep fat on our bodies, which is its way of promoting reproduction. In order to fight against the estrogen and lose weight, women have to do more workouts and eat healthier than men.
3. Dieting: Women tend to keep an eye on their diets, while in general men eat whatever they want. That means when men finally decide to change their eating habits and only consume healthy foods, they see a change almost immediately.
4. Workouts are harder for women: Now before you start throwing tomatoes at your computer, listen up. During exercise, women's lungs show reduced size compared to men of their equal weight and age. This is partially due to women's higher levels of estrogen and progesterone. This leads to increased work in breathing and airway hyper-responsiveness, eventually leading to a workout that is more strenuous for a woman than to a man. Dang it.
5. Emotional eating: Uh-oh, we already know we're guilty of this one. Suddenly a harmless girl's night after a break-up or family drama turned into a calorie-sugar-binge. Men are less likely to consume calorie-dense or high-sugar foods than women after an emotionally trying time, putting the weight loss advantage in their court.
6. Carry weight differently: Women are more likely to carry their extra weight in their hips and butt, while men tend to pack on the pounds in their gut. (Beer belly, anyone?) Unfortunately for us ladies, weight in our hips, thighs and butt can be super hard to lose. The only way to get that fat moving is to activate your weight loss hormones, like epinephrine, through cardio.
In the end, it does seem that women have a harder time of losing weight than men, but there are few key factors all women should remember when they try to lose weight (especially if they're working out with with a guy).
Don't fight against mother nature and try to lose every single inch of fat on your body. Why? Women are naturally made to retain it for proper reproductive health. You will have more fat than your husband, boyfriend, brother, etc. The last thing to remember is that in order to lose weight, you just need to focus on heart-pumping cardio, building those muscles and eating fewer calories than you take in every day. Guys might lose the weight faster, but women always catch up with them in the long run. After all, slow and steady wins the race!
>> Read more: Your 7-Day Cheat Sheet To Weight Loss