Golden milk sounds like something from a fairy tale, and that's because it kinda is! Golden milk is a mixture of turmeric and coconut milk, two contrasting flavors that, when combined, taste like pure heavenly bliss. This magic drink has been around forever — and when we say forever, we literally mean forever. It was commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine, which is one of the world's oldest medical systems originating in India. This stuff can change your life better than any fairy godmother ever could!
The reason golden milk is so good for you is because of turmeric's massive health benefits. The list of health-promoting effects are listed below:
- Antidepressant: This natural solution shouldn't replace your medication, but should supplement it instead. Turmeric is known to boost your mood, as well as stabilize cases of anxiety and depression. In fact, turmeric has been known to boost serotonin and dopamine levels in your brain, as well as work almost as effectively as many medications!
- Anti-inflammation: We could talk about how negative long-term inflammation is to the body all day, but we'll spare you. You just need to know that long-term inflammation has been linked to almost every Western chronic disease, such as cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer's and high cholesterol. Turmeric is incredibly anti-inflammatory, and is almost as powerful as some drugs!
- Reduces risk of heart disease: Since heart disease is the #1 killer of Americans, this comes as great news! Turmeric helps improve the lining of the blood vessels, guarding against endothelial dysfunction, one of the biggest drivers toward heart disease, high blood pressure, clotting and more.
- Cancer fighting properties: It could be possible to fight cancer (and prevent it) through a healthy supplement of this good stuff. While this is still being tested in the laboratory, scientists are seeing shrinking cancer cells when in contact with curcumin (aka turmeric).
At the risk of sounding like an endless infomercial, "that's not all!" Turmeric has been known to reduce the effects of aging, ease muscle soreness, fight against arthritis and joint pain as well as reduce the risk of brain diseases. Are you sold yet?
RECIPE: GOLDEN MILK
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Stir the ingredients together. Strain the mixture before drinking it.
- Want to add some different flavors to your golden milk? You can include raw honey, vanilla extract or cardamom! Throw in some ice cubes and sip to your heart's delight. Drink daily!