After kids and daily stress, you may have noticed your tummy growing larger than in your younger days. Fret no more — you still have time to transform that core from flab to fab with our flat abs makeover. Incorporate these 19 core-sculpting moves into your fitness routine while coupling it with a clean diet and watch your chiseled midsection emerge. Abs after baby really are possible!
1. Stability Ball V-Pass: This is a surefire way to trigger your core muscles with an added glutes and hamstrings bonus. This is a crunch made fun with the ball pass element. Get details on this move here.
2. Side Plank Thread the Needle: Engage your entire core in plank mode with an added emphasis on the love handles with this side plank with movement. Use weights, a water bottle or even can of food for added strength training. No equipment (excuses) needed! Learn this move here.
3. Crab Twist: We love exercises that serve double duty. This core blaster is an oblique obliterator which also engages the upper body and forces you to focus on stability and movement. Watch the video below, then get details on this move here.
4. Plank Jack: This move is another double whammy, engaging the core with a plank focused on movement while continuing to maintain good form. This incorporates a cardio element that will raise your heart rate while working the core. For more info on the plank jack, click here after watching the video below!
5. Forearm Plank: This is a core exercise that focuses on little movement while isolating core muscles. Increasing the time that you can hold this plank is a great indicator of improved core strength. Learn how to do this plank here.
6. Russian Twist with Kettlebell: The added weight takes the Russian twist up a notch, but you can also use a hand weight or water bottle. Or you can modify the move to make it a little easier with no weight at all until you're ready to progress! For more information, click here.
7. Pushup: Most people only give credit to the pushup for upper body strength, but it's also a great test of strength for the core as you work to perfect pushup form. Make sure you're doing pushups properly by checking your form here!
8. Waist Trimmer: The name says it all, right? This is a simple movement that looks like it’s not a lot of work, but don’t be fooled; after a few seconds, you will feel the burn. Get details on this move here.
9. Plank Tuck Twist: Grab that ball and get ready for another fun but challenging twist on the plank that also focuses on the lower belly (where we all tend to hold a little more pooch than we'd like to admit). To learn more about this move, click here.
10. Scissor Kick: Here's another seemingly simple movement that packs in a whole lot of burn. Your abs will scream but your bikini will thank you for performing this movement that focuses on the transverse abdominal muscles. Get the details here.
11. Plank Up-Downs: Adding movement to your plank adds extra contraction of your ab muscles, which leads to a waist whittling effect. Added bonus: This is also a great arm toning exercise. Get more information by clicking here.
12. Reptile Plank: Keeping with the movement during planks trend, this exercise is another great way to target love handles and melt away unwanted side squishiness. Get details for this move here.
13. Suspended Cross Tap: This is another great way to incorporate your stability ball in plank work. If you don’t have a stability ball, prop your legs on a chair or couch. To learn how to do this move, click here.
14. Pike Leg Kicks: Here's a three-step movement that engages the entire core when completed. This core move is a triple threat! Click here to learn how to perform this move.
15. Reverse Planks: A twist on the traditional plank and a great alternative for pregnant women looking for plank alternatives beyond their second trimester, the reverse plank is still challenging without added pressure on the belly. If you want to do this move yourself, click here.
16. Side Pushup: Another twist on a traditional exercise, the side pushup engages your upper body and core in a challenging movement performed sideways. Learn this pushup variation here.
17. Pushup With Hand Raise: Two exercises combined for a core killer, a pushup with a plank arm reach makes this double duty exercise an ab flattening favorite. Here's how to do it.
18. Planking Knee Tucks: This is another way to add movement to your plank and add an extra burn to your core work. Focus on bringing your foot as close to your hand as possible. Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t get that close the first time. Practice makes progress! Learn how to do this move here.
19. Side Plank Hip Dips: After you have mastered the side plank, add a dip to your lift with these hip dips that add contraction and extension to the ab muscles, which will lead to a more chiseled waist in no time. Get details on this move here.