This time of year, everyone seems to go crazy about sweet potatoes and it's tough to decide the best way to cook with these super tubers. Some kids can be pretty iffy about these strange vegetables — or any vegetable, really — so it's tricky deciding whether to keep it to one dish or make multiple dishes. No need to fret, though; we have plenty of sweet potato recipes to choose from that everyone, even your little ones, will love!
1. Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Why not change up your mashed potatoes this Thanksgiving and have mashed sweet potatoes instead! It's not only healthy, but it's super quick, too. With only four ingredients, this dish requires little effort on your part. So, let it cook itself in your slow cooker while you focus on your more complicated dishes. Click here for the recipe.
2. Sweet Potato Casserole: While this is a traditional dish, a few healthier tweaks have been made while sacrificing zero flavor! After blending the sweet potatoes, you add raisins, agave, various spices and pineapple, then top it off with the traditional pecans and marshmallows. The great thing is that all the tweaks made in the recipe were made to make it healthier for you! (via Skinnytaste)
3. Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad: Next time you need to decide on a recipe for sweet potatoes, forget the marshmallows and masher. Just chop up your sweet potatoes, add some pomegranate, feta and pepitas for a delicious salad. It will not only look colorful but it'll taste amazing, too! Here's the recipe.
4. Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole: With this casserole dish, most of the hard work is done in the oven. You can make this yummy vegan recipe for a normal family dinner or to add to an amazing Thanksgiving feast. Either way, don't be surprised if there's no leftovers. Click here for the recipe!
>> Read More: One Dish Dinners: 12 Healthy + Heavenly Casseroles
5. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes: Make a twist on sweet potato casserole by serving it right in the skin! And one serving is only 148 calories, making it a lightened-up dish you'll love. Check out the video below, then get the full recipe here.
6. Mini-Sweet Potato Meringue Pies: Let everyone have their own mini dessert this year! This healthy dessert adds bananas for a natural sweetness and the meringue is already fat-free. This Thanksgiving you don't have to feel bad about taking away everyone's sugar because they won't even be able to tell the difference with this treat. (via Skinnytaste)
7. Crustless Sweet Potato Pie: Pies are traditionally filled with sugars and have little nutritional value, but this pie is packed full of vitamin C and all the health benefits that sweet potatoes have to offer. Plus, you're taking away the pie crust which saves you from eating so many calories. But if you want to take a more traditional route, you can easily add an unbaked pie crust. Here's the recipe.
8. Sweet Potato Irish Nachos: Irish nachos are just loaded nachos but with fries instead of tortilla chips. A healthy snack for your family – maybe – as long as you substitute sweet potatoes in the place of regular potatoes. Cut them into a wedge shape for a studier fry that can carry all those cheesy toppings. (via Skinnytaste)
9. Skinny Baked Sweet Potato Chips: If you're craving a crispy, salty crunch, try these chips rather than digging your hand in a bag of potato chips. You'll be able to eat more per serving at nearly half the calories. Check out the tutorial below, then click here for the recipe!
10. Sweet Potato Burgers: Who would think that making sweet potatoes into burgers would be such a great idea? This burger goes great with a few slices of avocado, tomato, lettuce and some Dijon mustard. Everyone in your family will be thinking the same thing: you're a cooking genius. (via What's Gaby Cooking)
>> Read More: 7 Healthy Recipes for Your Next Cookout
11. Hearty Sweet Potato Chili: Get ready for a chili that is a party in the pot and is extremely addictive. When it gets cold outside, you start thinking chili and this recipe is a perfect healthy option that you are sure to crave often. You don't even have to worry about eating it too often because it is filled with super foods that benefit your health! Check out the recipe here.
12. Kale Roasted Sweet Potato Salad: After eating so much over the Thanksgiving holiday, try this delicious salad that will help you eat healthy and satisfy your stomach. (via Baked Bree)
>> Read More: 5 Ways To Add Kale To Your Diet
13. Chinese 5 Spice Sweet Potatoes: Sometimes sweet potato recipes can be a bit too sweet, but this one will change up your thinking! Just toss your sweet potatoes in with olive oil, Chinese 5 Spice, salt and pepper, then top them off with chives and green onions. Be ready for a dish that always serves the perfect bite. (via What's Gaby Cooking)
14. Spicy Sweet Potato Fries: Serve up a spicy side with your family's favorite lean protein. These sweet potato fries are a perfect blend of heat and sweetness, so check out the recipe here!
15. Quick Sweet Potato Hash: This dish is perfect when you're pressed for time and will yield food that will make your mouth water. You can even make it for breakfast, lunch or dinner if you're craving a little Mexican flair. (via Running To The Kitchen)
16. Roasted Sweet Potato and Farro Salad: For a lighter, but delicious fare, try this unique dish that combines sweet potato, farro, lemon and watercress. Watercress is the number one superfood and the other ingredients pack major health benefits, too. Check it out here!
17. Quinoa Sweet Potato Cakes: If you're planning on making this dish for Thanksgiving, it's perfect to make ahead of time and freeze. (via Generation Y Foodie)
18. Fudgy Sweet Potato Brownies: Forget the pies and other traditional sweet potato desserts and try this sweet potato brownie! Chocolate lovers rejoice as this is a smarter way to get your sweet fix. This is a must-save recipe for anyone who is vegan or allergic to gluten, too! (via The Healthy Maven)
>> Read More: Recipe: Skinny Fudge Brownies
19. Baked Sweet Potato Falafel: Try this healthy and unique falafel the next time you want to try out a new, fun recipe. Just bake this sweet potato filled falafel and be sure to drizzle it with some tahini. (via Glow Kitchen)
20. Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes: Rather than serving a meat and side dish, serve the meat inside your side! These hearty sweet potatoes are filled with pork are perfectly topped with barbecue sauce. Get the ingredients and get started here.
21. Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos: This is an easy make-your-own taco night that is sure to become a popular dinner choice for carnivores and vegetarians alike. The slaw is full of flavor and all ingredients are lighter than your traditional Mexican toppings. (via Joy The Baker)
22. Vanilla Bean Sweet Potato Waffles: Sweet potatoes can and should be served for breakfast. We put blueberries and other sweet things in waffles, so why shouldn't sweet potatoes go great in waffles, too? Once you see the beautiful brown color of the finished product, you'll know this was a morning match made in Heaven. (via Joy The Baker)
23. Sweet Potato and Chipotle Soup: This vegan, dairy-free soup is bursting with flavor from a mix of potatoes, cumin, cilantro and chipotle peppers! This one has a bit of a kick, but that makes it just right for the nights when you need to spice things up a bit! Try it here.
24. Oat and Pistachio Crumble Topped Baked Sweet Potatoes: These baked sweet potatoes are topped with crunchy, sweet flavors for a delicious dessert or unique dish. Many steps in this simple recipe can be frozen until the time to make them comes, too! (via Joy The Baker)
25. Sweet Potato Skins: This recipe is a smart way to introduce this veggie to your little ones! Top sweet potato skins with cheese and guacamole for the slight flavor of the potato they may already know. Try it by clicking here!
26. Rosemary and Sweet Potato Tart: This scrumptious fall tart uses caramelized sweet potatoes and gouda cheese to make an amazing treat. You might want to keep this one all to yourself and forget about sharing. (via Eat Yourself Skinny)
27. Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese: Dress up your grilled cheese with good-for-you ingredients that taste surprisingly spectacular together! When the kids see you eating this somewhat familiar staple, they may surprise you and try it themselves. Check it out here!
28. Chipotle Sweet Potato Quesadilla: This Mexican-style dish is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy as the potatoes are cooked in lime, honey and chipotles. The quesadilla is filled with spices, too, to give this recipe a real kick! Get the ingredients list here!
29. Spicy Thai Sauce with Roasted Sweet Potatoes: The next time you want to try something a little spicy, turn to this recipe. It drizzles spicy Thai peanut sauce over roasted sweet potatoes and bell peppers with jasmine rice. It's gluten-free and perfect for vegans and vegetarians! (via Cookie And Kate)
30. Mini Sweet Potato Tarts: If you need a dish that is a little different and will spice up your Thanksgiving dinner, this recipe has you covered. It uses a gingersnap and pecan crust with roasted marshmallows on top. It has a deliciously creamy inside with a perfectly crunchy outside. (via Good Life Eats)
31. Spicy Peanut and Sweet Potato Soup: This creamy soup is ideal for a cold afternoon spent by the fire. Add in chili powder for spice, or if you prefer a more mild flavor, add more broth or garbanzo beans. (via In Sonnet's Kitchen)
>> Read More: Soup's On: 50 Healthy Soups
32. Roasted Carrots and Sweet Potatoes: This Thanksgiving side dish with perfectly set off any entree you put on your table. It's also very easy to make with a total of 25 minutes of prep and bake time. It's a perfect go-to recipe if you just need a little something sweet. (via In Sonnet's Kitchen)
33. Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus: This hummus recipe will upgrade will upgrade your veggies and dip snack time favorite! (via In Sonnet's Kitchen)
34. Sweet Potato Pasta With Brussels Sprouts: This recipe fits just about every diet; it's vegan, grain-free, gluten-free and Paleo. It's perfect for an Italian-inspired night and the pistachio adds a crunch to this unique dish. Check it out here!
On the hunt for more holiday dishes? We've got 16 Unique Thanksgiving Recipes to Absolutely Wow Your Guests.