I recently spent a weekend at the beach with some fabulously savvy and lovely bloggers (Yes, I’m talking about YOU AnnieBlogs, Lyndsights, & Loom Decor!) I also bought a new candle. You’re probably thinking, “cool story, Womanista [insert sarcasm]…” But anyway, after my candle purchase, the aforementioned blogger lovelies (I’ll call them Blogglies!) were super-impressed by a candle-burning trick that I thought everyone knew!!
Apparently, not…so I shall now divulge a helpful little detail when burning a candle for the first time:
You have to let it burn all the way to the edge of the candle before blowing it out, the first time you burn it. If not, the candle will only burn as far as you burn it the first time, every other time you light it.
And that’s it! So simple!
But for a candle-obsessed womanista like me, this can save you hundreds on candles, not to mention countless sad-faces when you discover that your favorite candle you’ve burned only a few times is now kaput.
On that note, I’ll leave you with a list of my top 5 favorite candles:
1. LAFCO “Beach House”: If you want to reminisce about a sunny, salty, sea-filled beach vacation, simply light this candle and take a deep breath. It’s magic and glorious.
2. Capri Blue Mercury Glass Jar Candle (in volcano scent!): Gorgeous, illuminating jar. Amazing scent. Need I say more?
3. Vance Kitira “Timber” pillar: These are classic, pillar candles that burn so slowly. They also have a cool antique feeling to them that looks chic with any decor.
4. Voluspa “Ambre Lumiere”: This is the sexiest, woodsy, most masculine scent. If Don Draper were a candle, he would be this one. Swoon!
5. Target “Red Velvet Cupcake”: I’m going to give you a warning with this one. It MAY lead you to crave a cupcake. It smells like the most sugary sweet confection!
Happy candle-burning, womanistas!
xo, the Womanista