This week is pretty special in Nashville, TN. The music world comes together to celebrate the years best of everything – songs, writers, performers, players, industry execs, and pretty much everything in between for the SESAC, ASCAP, BMI, and finally the CMA Awards (airing on ABC, Thurs. 8/7c). It’s a fun week in our house because we get to catch up with friends and colleagues who we may not have seen in forever! It also means that I get to dress up fabulously. Four times this week, to be exact!
As I was strategizing my game plan for gorgeous this week (and let me tell you, it’s extensive and it takes a village!) I thought that other womanistas might need a get-glam strategy for big events as well. Whether you are going to a high school reunion, prom, meeting his parents for dinner for the first time, or even attending your own wedding – here is a no-fail list to looking and feeling gorgeous!
1. Plan your hair and makeup ahead of time: Flip through magazines, and browse Pinterest for ideas that you like for hair and makeup. If you are getting it professionally done, showing the pros photos of what you want helps them to know exactly what you are looking for (a “messy bun” can mean different things…) This pic of Hayden Panettiere was my hair/makeup inspiration for last year’s CMA Awards.
If you are hitting the glam train on your own, picking out styles ahead of time allows you to have a minute to live with these ideas and figure out how to achieve them. (You may want to practice that fabulous aubergine smokey eye before the big night, lest you risk looking like The Joker!)
2. Get your Dress/Outfit Tailored: This is key. Great tailoring adds that “Je Ne C’est Quoi” to your ensemble. Even if your dress seems to fit perfectly off the rack, there is still usually an extra nip and tuck that a good tailor can create so that your outfit becomes a knockout. This is also a great trick for clothes that are less expensive. An inexpensive fabric looks super luxe when it fits flawlessly. Plus, there is nothing that will make you annoyed/uncomfortable faster than yanking on your outfit all night because it doesn’t fit right. Trust me. I once wore this fabulous corseted dress that was a wee bit too small to a seated dinner party and by the end of the night, I not only couldn’t indulge in the delish dessert that was served, I could no longer breathe. That evening could have been saved by a great tailor!
3. Prepare your “Oh Sh*t” Kit: Things happen, so be prepared. Stock up on necessities that you can turn to in a pinch. A shout wipe/pen are great for any accidental spills (and on that note, red wine at a party probably isn’t the smartest idea if you are wearing white! Stick to clear or light colored liquids like water, sprite, or champagne)
“Foot Petals” foot pads are also a lifesaver if you realize 30-minutes into your night that those fabulous embellished heels are actually monstrously uncomfortable (and on THAT note, give your heels a test drive before the big night. And seriously, I don’t care how amazing they are, if they are uncomfortable you will hate them by the end of the evening. Stick with a pair that is gorgeous and at least slightly comfortable. They do exist!)
Double stick tape or “Hollywood Fashion Tape” is great for any potential wardrobe malfunctions, and clear nail polish stops runs in hose, and can touch up a chipped nail. Both of them should be in your “Oh Sh*t” Kit.
4. Get Plenty of Sleep the Night Before (and a few nights before that!):You may be excited or overwhelmed with all you have to do, which I totally understand! (I’ve tossed and turned thinking about what shade of jade nail polish would best compliment my aubergine smokey eye! Which clearly means I need to get a life or a hobby, but still…) I know a womanista wants to look fab and the quickest way NOT to do that is to look tired. Get plenty of sleep and drink lots of water. You’ll look rested and glowing and gorgeous.
5. Stop Stressing & Put a Smile on Your Face: This is advice that I need to take myself (see previous statement about jade nail polish and the aubergine smokey eye!) The party/event/awards ceremony/prom/wedding is supposed to be FUN! With a capital F-U-N!! You are celebrating something, and make sure to keep that in mind. If you are stressing out about every detail being perfect, you are going to be disappointed because everything won’t be perfect. Just relax, enjoy your friends and loved ones (and maybe a glass or two of champagne) and have fun. Smile. Laugh. Because you won’t remember what shade of jade nail polish you chose, but you will remember the magical night you shared with awesome people when you looked fabulous!
xo, the Womanista